From 1842-48 Morel was in partnership with the French architect Henri Duponchel (1794-1868) establishing themselves as Morel et Cie, where they became known for their renaissance revival objets d' art to the designs of Jules Peyre and Constant Sévin. At one point they employed 80 workers and won a gold medal at the Exposition des Produits de l'industrie of 1844 in Paris. However, their partnership ended acrimoniously in a lawsuit that resulted in Morel being prohibited from working in Paris again.
The revolutions of 1848 caused Morel to flee to London, re-establishing in New Burlington Street with financial backing from collector Edmond Joly de Bammeville. Registering his mark in 1849, he continued to produce the highest quality silver and jewellery, culminating with the award of a Council Medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Morel returned to France a short time later in 1852, financial precarious but equally creative, recovering to win the Grand Medaille for goldwork and jewellery at the Paris International Exhibition in 1855. There he showed his famous bloodstone and enamel cup depicting Perseus and Andromeda, commissioned by Henry Thomas Hope.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale