157
157
A 'Thewa' parure, Pratapgarh, Rajasthan, India, 19th century
Estimate
12,00018,000
LOT SOLD. 8,750 GBP
JUMP TO LOT
157
A 'Thewa' parure, Pratapgarh, Rajasthan, India, 19th century
Estimate
12,00018,000
LOT SOLD. 8,750 GBP
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Recollections of Places Past, Property from the Estate of Sir John and Lady Smith

|
London

A 'Thewa' parure, Pratapgarh, Rajasthan, India, 19th century
comprising a necklace, a pair of earrings, a bracelet and a brooch, each piece worked with intricately designed and incised gold sheets depicting hunting scenes fused on green coloured glass
Quantity: 5
necklace: 42cm. long, 16 1/2 in.
bracelet: 16.5cm. long, 6 1/2 in.
each earring: 6cm. long, 2 3/8 in.
brooch: 4.5cm. diameter, 1 3/4 in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Previously in the collection of Maharajah Man Singh;
Gifted by him in 1878 to Patrick Carnegy (1825-1886) for his wife Isabella Butter then to her granddaughter;
Dame Beryl Oliver (1882-1972);
whose gift these were to her niece Lady Smith

Catalogue Note

Pratapgarh was a small Rajputana principality established by Raja Pratab Bhadur Singh in the seventeenth century. It is in this kingdom, which passed under British control in 1818, that the thewa technique developed in the second half of the eighteenth century. It remains the main distinctive feature of its jewellery production until today. The green glass surface of thewa pieces are decorated with gold tracery sheets representing usually mythical, religious or secular hunting scenes. The production of Pratapgarh jewellery flourished particularly in Victorian times, when they were exported to Europe as souvenirs, notably Britain. Parures like this one are rare as usually these are split over time or suffer condition issues due to the delicate nature of the material. This set is an example of the British taste for this peculiar technique. A similar thewa necklace is in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, inv. no. 03083(IS).  

Recollections of Places Past, Property from the Estate of Sir John and Lady Smith

|
London