PERIDOT, PEARL AND ENAMEL PENDANT, PHILLIPS BROS.
8,000 - 12,000 USD
bidding is closed
Centered on a rectangular step-cut peridot within an openwork border applied with black and white piqué enamel, accented by four button-shaped pearls measuring approximately 4.8 to 4.5 mm, and supporting a drop-shaped pearl measuring approximately 5.6 mm, with maker's mark for Phillips Bros.; circa 1869-1874.
Sotheby's New York, December 6, 2006, Castellani & Giuliano, The Judith H. Siegel Collection, lot 120.
Castellani and Giuliano, Revivalist Jewellers of the Nineteenth Century, Wartski, London, March 12-17, 1984, no. 106.
Please note that the pearls have not been tested for natural origin. According to Geoffrey Munn, it is likely that this pendant was made by Giuliano to the order of Phillips and was sold by them in their shop on Cockspur Street between 1869 and 1874. The work on this jewel is almost identical to that of a piece bearing Giuliano's maker's mark, offered as lot 105 in Castellani & Giuliano, The Judith H. Siegel Collection, Sotheby's New York, December 6, 2006.