76
76
James Digman Wingfield
A SET OF THREE VIEWS OF THE CARTOON GALLERY AT HAMPTON COURT
76
James Digman Wingfield
A SET OF THREE VIEWS OF THE CARTOON GALLERY AT HAMPTON COURT

Details & Cataloguing

Inspired by Chatsworth: A Selling Exhibition

New York

James Digman Wingfield
LONDON CIRCA 1800 - 1872
A SET OF THREE VIEWS OF THE CARTOON GALLERY AT HAMPTON COURT
SOLD0

one signed and dated lower right: J.D. Wingfield 184[?]-1850
all oil on canvas
one: 25 by 42 3/8  in.; 63.5 by 107.6 cm.
two: 21 1/2  by 22 3/4  in.; 54.6 by 57.8 cm.


Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Probably, the Duke of Sutherland, Stafford House, St James, by 1844;
With Frost & Reed, London;
W. Russell Button, Chicago;
Anonymous sale, London, Sotheby's, 19 March 2003, lot 100;
There acquired. 

Exhibited

London, Royal Academy, 1844, no. 1090 (as Part of the Palace, Hampton Court-Olden Time);
London, The British Institution, 1845, no. 212.

Literature

Probably H.G. Bohn, The Pictorial Handbook of London..., London 1854, p. 436. 

Catalogue Note

These interior views by Wingfield are of the Cartoon Gallery at Hampton Court Palace. The Palace, built during the reign of Henry VIII for Thomas Wolsey, who was Archbishop of York and one of the chief advisers to the King, was planned as a magnificent house on the north bank of the Thames, surpassing even the splendour of royal residences.  In 1529, Wolsey, having lived in such extravagance, fell out of favour, and the Palace, along with his lands, were given back to the King. Henry VIII then enlarged the palace and was responsible for the extension of the royal apartments in 1532, and Hampton Court became one of his most important houses. 

The Cartoon Gallery at Hampton Court, as depicted by James Wingfield, was part of a programme of building commenced not long after the ascension of William and Mary in 1688. With the stateliness of Versailles in mind, Christopher Wren, Surveyor of the King's works, was asked to draw up plans for new private apartments, and work began in 1689. The Cartoon Gallery, part of Wren's scheme, was originally called the King's Gallery, but within a decade, it was renamed as the gallery for pictures, specifically the cartoons of the Acts of the Apostles by Raphael. This set of cartoons was commissioned by Pope Leo X in 1516 and had been purchased by Charles I in 1623, but had remained in storage, rolled up and out of view. William III, though, brought them out of storage, and they were first hung in 1697. After they came down so that the gallery could be panelled, they were reinstalled in 1699. 

During the eighteenth century, the Cartoon Gallery was used for Privy Council meetings and for musical performances. The following century, in 1865, the cartoons were removed to the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, where they remain to this day.  

Inspired by Chatsworth: A Selling Exhibition

New York