Lot 369
  • 369

SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND PENDANT NECKLACE, HUNT & ROSKELL, LATE 19TH CENTURY

Estimate
60,000 - 80,000 GBP
Sold
250,000 GBP
bidding is closed

Description

Designed as a rivière composed of graduated cushion-shaped diamonds in pinched collet settings, suspending an open work pendant of oval outline, set with cushion-shaped diamonds and an oval sapphire weighing approximately 11.8 carats, to an additional detachable pendant set with a pear-shaped sapphire weighing approximately 6.4 carats within a border of cushion-shaped diamonds, length approximately 450mm, original fitted case stamped Hunt & Roskell, late Storr & Mortimer.

Catalogue Note

Accompanied by a gemmological report.

Hunt & Roskell were prominent jewellers and silversmiths throughout the 19th century. The firm was founded in 1819 by Paul Storr, who had worked as a silversmith for the renowned former Crown Jewellers Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. The firm underwent many changes of name throughout its lifespan, as referenced on the box accompanying the present lot - initially trading under his own name, Storr joined the jeweller John Mortimer to form Storr & Mortimer (1822-38). Storr was then succeeded by his assistant John Samuel Hunt and his son in turn, and the firm traded under the name Mortimer & Hunt until 1843. Finally, the watchmaker Robert Roskell joined the firm, becoming Hunt & Roskell between 1843  and 1897).

From their premises at 156 New Bond Street and their workshop in Clerkenwell, Hunt & Roskell provided jewellery, watches and silverware to an elite clientele, participating in the Great Exhibition of 1851, as well as exhibitions in New York (1853) and Paris (1867), and gaining a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria. The firm was eventually purchased by J.W. Benson in the closing years of the 19th century, and continued trading as Hunt & Roskell Ltd, closing its doors for the final time in 1965, after nearly 150 years in operation.
Close