301
301

PROPERTY FROM AN IMPORTANT COLLECTION OF BUDDHIST FIGURES FORMERLY IN THE COLLECTION OF THE CHANG FOUNDATION

A GILT-BRONZE FIGURE OF SHAKYAMUNI
17TH CENTURY 
Estimate
20,00025,000
LOT SOLD. 25,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT
301

PROPERTY FROM AN IMPORTANT COLLECTION OF BUDDHIST FIGURES FORMERLY IN THE COLLECTION OF THE CHANG FOUNDATION

A GILT-BRONZE FIGURE OF SHAKYAMUNI
17TH CENTURY 
Estimate
20,00025,000
LOT SOLD. 25,000 USD
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Bodies of Infinite Light Featuring an Important Collection of Buddhist Figures Formerly in the Collection of the Chang Foundation

|
New York

A GILT-BRONZE FIGURE OF SHAKYAMUNI
17TH CENTURY 
cast seated in vajraparyankasana with the proper right hand in bhumisparsha mudra, wearing a kasaya robe with dense floral scrollwork marking each patchwork border and hem, the dhoti gathered and pleated along the chest, partially covered by the outer layer of the robe draped over the left shoulder, the lower section falling in luxuriant folds about the legs, raised on a double-lotus base and sealed with a copper plate inscribed with a vishvavajra
Height 6 1/3  in., 16.2 cm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

The Chang Foundation Collection.

Literature

Jintongfo zaoxiang tulu/Buddhist Images in Gilt Metal, Taipei, 1993, pl. 12.

Catalogue Note

As discussed in the Chang Foundation Collection catalogue, Jintongfo zaoxiang tulu/Buddhist Images in Gilt Metal, Taipei, 1993, p. 38, the Chinese translation for kasaya is futian ('happy fields'), perhaps expressing the ascetic monk's contentment with the bare minimum. A closely related bronze figure, with the hands in dhyana mudra, from the Munsterberg collection, is illustrated in Hugo Munsterberg, Chinese Buddhist Bronzes, Japan, 1967, pls 18a-b. Compare as well a related gilt-bronze figure of a Buddha attributed to the 17th/18th century, with the hands in dharmacakra mudra, sold at Christie's New York, 17th March 2017, lot 1031.

Bodies of Infinite Light Featuring an Important Collection of Buddhist Figures Formerly in the Collection of the Chang Foundation

|
New York