Lacking any maker's mark but of significant quality there are a number of possible candidates who are likely to have supplied this magnificent candelabrum to the 6th Duke, namely Hancock and Rixon, William Collins or Thomas Messenger. Of these we know that Hancock and Rixon supplied a considerable quantity of lighting to the Duke which on the whole bears their label.
William Collins of 227 Strand, is possibly the most likely maker, he was a leading supplier of ormolu and brass light fittings whose most significant commission was for the 3rd Duke of Northumberland's London home, Northumberland House which included two magnificent chandeliers and at least two pairs of large candelabra, one pair that are now at Syon Park, Middlesex and a pair of monumental candelabra now at The Bowes Museum, County Durham supplied in 1823. These were commissioned for the first floor parade rooms at Northumberland House in London. They exhibit the same exuberant use of neo-classical motifs such a boldly scrolled acanthus and also feature gadrooned 'wells'.
The third candidate, Thomas Messenger, began as a maker of furniture mounts, but by 1826 was established as a lamp-maker with premises both in Birmingham and in London. A trade label of circa 1835 indicates that, in partnership with his sons, he produced `Chandeliers, Tripods and Lamps of Every description in bronze and ormolu. Among Messenger's clients was the 4th Duke of Newcastle, who on a visit to Birmingham in 1838 commissioned three pairs of Antique style lamps based on an engraving by Piranesi (see Jessica Rutherford, Country House Lighting 1660-1890, exh. cat., Temple Newsam, 1992, pp. 145-146, No.121 and Christopher Gilbert and Anthony Wells-Cole, The Fashionable Fireplace 1660-1840, Ibid, 1985, p.81, No.76).
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale