ANTWERP 1573 - 1647
CHURCH INTERIOR, WITH FIGURES PERFORMING THE WORK OF CHARITY, BURYING THE DEAD
Mrs Löwenthal, Amsterdam (b. 1875);
Confiscated from the above by Lippmann, Rosenthal & Co., Amsterdam after May 1940;
Sold to Dr. Hans Schröder, Director of the Museum St. Annen, Lübeck in 1943 (inv. no. 1943–37; as manner of Hendrick van Steenwijk);
Returned by the above to the Netherlands in 1947;
Stichting Nederlands Kunstbezit, The Hague (inv. no. 1478);
Restituted to the descendants of Mrs. Löwenthal (Eric and Else Wolffenstein) circa 1950;
By descent to the present owner.
London, Alfred Brod Gallery, Autumn exhibition of paintings by old Dutch & Flemish masters, 15 October - 14 November 1959, no. 33 (as Steenwijk; signed and dated: H v S 1575, and measuring 20 1/8 x 27 1/4 in.; when reviewed and illustrated in The Daily Telegraph, 15 October 1959).