Attributed to the workshop of the painter Friedrich Pacher by Andergassen in 2007, this tenderly sculpted group clearly reflects the influence of his master, but no relation, Michael Pacher (1435-1495), as in his Virgin and Child in the Parish Church of St. Lorentzen-Pusterstal, illustrated by Müller (op. cit.). The modelling of the hair, the intricate crown and the treatment to the drapery are distinctive. Friedrich Pacher would have worked closely with sculptors when undertaking his commissions for large altarpieces. Andergassen attributes further groups to the workshop of Friedrich Pacher, including the once painted figure of Saint Margaret in the Cloisters, Metropolitan Museum New York (inv. no. 63.12.2). Formerly in the parish church of Saint Margaret im Dorf, Neustift near Brixen, the Cloisters Saint Margaret displays a very similar pose, tilted head and bold drapery to those seen in the present, impressive group, which would almost certainly have been originally placed in the central shrine of an altarpiece.
T. Müller, Gotische Skulpturen in Tirol, Bozen, 1976, pl. 112; W. D. Wixom, 'Medieval Sculpture at the Cloisters', Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin, vol. XLVI, no. 3, Winter 1988-1989, p. 26