This painting derives from a work by Eugène Delacroix of roughly the same size that is currently in the Musée du Louvre, Paris (inv. no. R.F. 1717). The Louvre’s composition once formed part of a large, unfinished double portrait of Chopin seated next to George Sand, which is believed to have been completed in 1838. The double portrait of Chopin and Sand allegedly remained in Delacroix’s studio until his death in 1863. By 1873, the Louvre’s portion had been cut from the original double portrait and was sold as its own lot in a 1874 auction at Hôtel Drouot, Paris.