The temples at Paestum were rediscovered in the middle of the 18th century, shortly after Pompeii and Herculaneum, and rapidly became a desired destination for many travelers on the Grand Tour. Publications on the Doric ruins at Paestum started to appear in print and were in circulation between 1764 and 1784. We know that Giovanni Volpato, with whom Ducros collaborated on many projects, produced a collection of archaeological views with P.A. Paoli, Rovine della Città di Pesto detta Posidonia
, published in Rome in 1784. It is highly likely that Ducros was familiar with these prints and no doubt these influenced his own views of the temples. It is unclear whether Ducros actually stopped at Paestum when traveling with a group of Dutch antiquaries as it appears the group took the inland route from Naples to the Adriatic coast, bypassing Paestum.1
For other views of Paestum's ancient temples by Ducros see Abraham-Louis-Rodolphe Ducros Un Peintre suisse en Italie, exhib. cat., Lausanne, Musée des Beaux-Arts, 1998, cat. nos. 54 and 55, reproduced.
1. Images of the Grand Tour, Louis Ducros 1748-1810, exhib. cat., Kenwood, The Iveagh Bequest; Manchester, The Whitworth Art Gallery; Lausanne, Musée Cantonal des Beaux-Arts, 1985-86, under cat. no. 40