Furniture by George Bullock (1783 – 1818) was much sought after by European nobility; commissions spanned from the Duke of Buccleuch to the then exiled Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 – 1821). The architect Richard Brown said of Bullock ‘… some of his designs were certainly too massy and ponderous, nevertheless grandeur cannot be obtained without it; such are the standards of his octagon tables.’ Wainwright. C., George Bullock Cabinet-Maker, Chichester, 1988, p. 16. The photographed table in this page differs to the offered lot, excluding both the octagon top and, more importantly, the bold brass inlay with trefoil leaf design which bears a distinct similarity. Other examples of these tables from Bullock’s workshop sharing more in common include a mahogany table, formerly owned by Napoleon in St. Helena, sold in the Longwood sale in 1822. This example, like the present lot, is unusual for its use of a timber not native to England, a trait for which Bullock was known. The table is also supported by four splayed legs and a single robust stem however lacks inlay, see Levy. M., Napoleon in Exile, Leeds, 1998, p. 73, fig 57. On the previous spread a centre table from Napoleon’s drawing room, ibid, p. 71, fig. 54, also shares these characteristics with the addition of the roundels at the top of the legs and brass inlaid decoration at the base of the pedestal, albeit an oak example more commonly associated with the maker. Furthermore a table, formerly in the collection of Professor Richardson, ascribed as by Bullock shares brass inlay within the ebony top was sold Christie’s London, 18 September 2013.