45
45
Large document of the bishop of Arras, in Latin, incorporating the text of another document in French. France (Arras), dated March 1255
JUMP TO LOT
45
Large document of the bishop of Arras, in Latin, incorporating the text of another document in French. France (Arras), dated March 1255
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts and Continental and Russian Books

|
London

Large document of the bishop of Arras, in Latin, incorporating the text of another document in French. France (Arras), dated March 1255
single-sheet document, c.320x400mm, vellum, 33 lines, of which MORE THAN 12 LINES IN FRENCH (lines 2-14), endorsed ‘De capellania de fauverin’ and ‘Littera Jacobi atrebatensis episcopi continens tenorem carte domini Egidii … pro capellania de fuering construenda’, losses to lower margin, not affecting the text
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Catalogue Note

Lots 45-48 from a private collection, United States.

By this document, Jacques [de Dinant], bishop of Arras [1248-59], records another document in French, of Lord Gilles de Feuring and Robert his son, giving land for a chapel, ‘… in hec verba: Iou giles de feuring chrs. et iou robertus fils et oirs du devant dit gilon … nous avons donne pour diu et en aumosne a iretage a tous iors a le capelerie de feuring ou a le parroche … seele ceste present escrit de nos seiaus. Che fu fait en lan … M.CC.& lv. el mois de marche’, followed by a Latin summary and added details, naming Mathilda and Aelydis, the men’s wives, witnessed by the abbot and convent of Mont-St-Eloi (cf. lot 47) and people of the parish ‘de anier infra cuius fines sita est villa de feuring et capella antedicta’ (line 6 from the end), dated the same month and year.

‘Anier’ is doubtless Agnières, less than 5 miles west of the abbey of Mont-St-Eloi, and ‘Feuring’ is doubtless the place now called Frévin-Capelle, which lies about a mile east of Agnières.

Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts and Continental and Russian Books

|
London