THE 1ST DUKE OF CAMBRIDGE'S FIELD MARSHAL'S BATON, 1821 |
30,000 - 40,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- length 530mm
by John Northam, the gold-mounted crimson velvet-covered baton studded with eighteen gold lions statant guardant; the upper mount in three-colour 18 carat gold banded with one wreath of thistle-heads and roses combined and with another of oak, supporting a finely-worked gold model of St George on horseback spearing the Dragon on a matted ground; the lower mount similarly banded with one wreath of thistle-heads and roses and another of laurel, the base engraved: From / His Majesty / GEORGE IV / King of the United Kingdom / OF / GREAT BRITAIN & IRELAND / TO / FIELD MARSHAL / His Royal Highnefs / ADOLPHUS FREDERICK / Duke of Cambridge / k.g. / 1821, weight 374g all in, St George’s lance replaced, hallmarks rubbed but fully legible, extremely fine condition
H.R.H. Prince Adolphus, 1st Duke of Cambridge, was appointed Field Marshal in November, 1813 shortly after the capture of Marshal Jourdan’s French baton at the Battle of Vittoria had inspired the Prince Regent to create a version for the Duke of Wellington. For his Coronation as George IV in 1821, the Prince introduced the practice of presenting batons to all Field Marshals, which continues to this day. It may be observed that the whereabouts of the 2nd Duke of Cambridge’s baton, which was presumably presented to him following his own appointment as Field Marshal on 9 November 1862, are unknown (see also the following lot).