This exceptional document box is is one of only three surviving pieces by progenitor of the Savell shop tradition, William Savell Sr. (w. 1639-1669). The others are a chest at the Smithsonian Institution and a cupboard fragment at Winterthur Museum (see Peter Follansbee and John D. Alexander, "Seventeenth-Century Joinery from Braintree, Massachusetts: The Savell Shop Tradition," American Furniture 1996, ed. Luke Beckerdite, (Milwaukee, WI: Chipstone foundation 1996), pp. 81-104). All three pieces have their fronts secured to their sides by wooden pegs. Peter Follansbee has noted that there are many other direct quotes in the carved patterns of this box, linking it to the carved joined chests. Among these are the “broken” concave outline on its sides, as well as the gouge-chopped decoration just outside the lunette.