The arms are those of Farquhar impaling de Lautour for Robert Farquhar (later Richard Townsend Farquhar who formerly assumed by sign-manual dated 19 July 1824 the additional surname of Townsend), second son of Sir Walter Farquhar, 1st. Bt. (1738-1819), who was physician to George Augustus Frederick, Prince of Wales, later George IV. He was born on 14 October 1776 and married on 10 January 1809 Maria Frances Geslip (later Mrs. Thomas Hamilton, d. 1875), fourth daughter and co-heiress of Joseph Francis Louis de Lautour (1730-1808) of Madras and Hexton House, Hertfordshire.
Following his education at Westminster School, Robert Townsend Farquhar travelled to India where in 1793 he obtained a position in the East India Company at Madras. He subsequently served as Lieutenant Governor of Panang and in 1810 he became Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Mauritius. A dedicated opponent of the slave trade, Farquhar promoted the production of sugar, including the building of mills and roads and the encouragement of international trade. He was created a baronet in 1821, the announcement of which was made in The London Gazette of 28 July that year (p. 1555).
Although Farquhar resigned as Governor of Mauritius in 1823, he took a leave of absence between 1817 and 1820, which is when he probably received this tray. Returning to England permanently in 1823 he was elected M.P. for Newton, Lancashire, and for Hythe, Kent from 1826 until his death at his London house in Richmond Terrace, Whitehall on 16 March 1830.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale