The present centrepiece is probably from the service gifted by the Prince Regent to his brother Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge (1774–1850) on the occasion of his wedding to his second cousin Princess Augusta of Hesse-Kassel (1797–1889) in 1818. The couple were first married at Kassel on 7th May of that year then again at Buckingham Palace on 1st June. The Duke and his new wife lived mostly in Hanover where he served as Viceroy of the Kingdom of Hanover from 1816 until the accession of Queen Victoria.
The decoration of the service is attributed to the Islington based workshop of Thomas Randall. For a plate from the service see W. D. John, and G. J. Coombes, Nantgarw Porcelain Album, Glamorgan, 1975, pl. 58. An example of the form from the Marquis of Exeter service was in the Sir Leslie Joseph collection of Welsh porcelain, sold Sotheby's, 14th-16th May 1992, lot 318; see also lot 479, for a further Duke of Cambridge plate.