J.E. Caldwell & Co, founded in 1839 by the American jeweller James Emott Caldwell, acted as major jewellery and silver retailer in Philadelphia. The firm moved several times as it continually expanded, finally settling at 902 Chestnut Street in 1868. In 1876 they were exhibiting at The Centennial Exposition representing the American Jewelry Maker. Caldwell's son, James Albert Caldwell, took over the role as the head of the company in 1881.