491
491

PROPERTY FROM A PRIVATE GERMAN COLLECTION

A pair of George III 21-inch Terrestrial and Celestial library globes by John & William Cary, London, circa 1800-1815
JUMP TO LOT
491

PROPERTY FROM A PRIVATE GERMAN COLLECTION

A pair of George III 21-inch Terrestrial and Celestial library globes by John & William Cary, London, circa 1800-1815
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Collections

|
London

A pair of George III 21-inch Terrestrial and Celestial library globes by John & William Cary, London, circa 1800-1815
the Terrestrial globe with cartouche reading 'CARY'S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE EXHIBITING The Tracks and Discoveries made by CAPTAIN COOK; Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA; and M DE LAPEROUSE on the COAST of TARTARY, TOGETHER with every other improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March 1st 1815', the Celestial globe with cartouche reading 'CARY'S New and Improved CELESTIAL GLOBE ON WHICH is carefully laid down the whole of the STARS AND NEBULAE Contained in the ASTRONOMICAL CATALOGUE of the REVD. MR WOLLASTON F.R.S. Compiled from the Authorities of FLAMSTEED, DE LA CAILLE, HEVELIUS, MAYER, BRADLEY, HERSCHEL, MASKELYNE &c. With an extensive number form the Works of Miss Herschel, The whole adapted to the Year 1800, and the Limits of each Constellation determined by a Boundary line. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, No.181 Strand, Mar 1 1799', the printed paper compass at the base signed 'J & W CARY, STRAND, LONDON', on brass mounted mahogany stands
overall 120cm. high, 66cm. diameter; 47¼in., 26in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Acquired from Podesta, Milano, 1964

Catalogue Note

The firm of Cary was established by John Cary ( c.1754-1835), a noted map-seller and engraver, and his brother William (c.1760-1825), an instrument maker. The firm published their first globes in 1791 and by the end of the eighteenth century had already established themselves as one of London`s most eminent globe manufacturers. In about 1820 the Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St James`s Street, leaving their premises at 181 Strand to John Cary`s two sons George ( c.1788-1859) and John Jr. ( 1791-1852) who traded as G & J Cary until about 1850 and continued to produce globes of the highest standards. Examples of the company`s work are illustrated in Elly Dekker and Peter van der Krogt, Globes from the Western World, 1993, pls. 33, 37, and 38.

Collections

|
London