615

Details & Cataloguing

The Collection of Anne H. & Frederick Vogel III

|
New York

AN ENGLISH LEAD-GLAZED 'BORDERWARE' MUG
CIRCA 1630-50
the bulbous body affixed with a loop handle, washed in a mottled brown glaze and applied with a wide shredded clay band.
height 5 1/2 in.
14 cm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Jonathan Horne, London, bearing label
Syd Levethan, through private purchase, March 1999
Vogel Collection no. 654

Catalogue Note

'Border ware' developed in the late 16th century in the borders of the Surrey and Hampshire counties to the south west of London. By the mid-17th century the type was being supplied in large quantities to the London market. In later years competition from potteries producing tin-glazed earthenware simulating porcelain, and the fine salt-glazed stonewares of Staffordshire led to its eventual decline.

Excavated mugs of this type are in the collection of the Museum of London, mus. ids. 21343 and A20317; a mug in the museum's collection features a green-glazed body, mus. id. A24351. A further green-glazed borderware mug excavated from a Yeoman farm at Lea Green, St Helens is in the National Museums of Liverpool.

The Collection of Anne H. & Frederick Vogel III

|
New York