The canvas has not been lined. There is a fine pattern of hairline craquelure throughout visible upon close inspection, however not distracting to the naked eye. Inspection under ultra-violet light reveals scattered retouchings including:
- three small areas, circa 3 by 3cm each, of retouching in the sea in the centre of the composition (patched on the reverse);
- intermittent strokes along the lower edge;
- a small area within and around the 'W' in the signature;
- clusters of small strokes in the sea behind the ship to the right; and
- another small 3 by 3cm area in the sea closer to the centre of the right framing edge.
Otherwise, this work presents well, is overall in good condition and is ready to hang.
Presented in a dark wooden frame with a nameplate. "In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE."