This luxuriant composition is a rare marble by the Art-Deco sculptor Maurice Guiraud-Rivière, whose work survives primarily in bronze. Born in Tolouise, Guiraud-Rivière studied under Antonin Mercié before embarking on a career as a sculptor, graphic artist, and cartoonist. Exhibiting at the Salons from 1907, he was awarded an Honourable Mention in 1914. In 1937 he exhibited sculpture and medallions at the International Exhibition in Paris.
V. Arwas, Art Deco Sculpture, London, 1992, p. 237