A William IV carved walnut, rosewood crossbanded, elm and parquetry octagonal centre table, attributed to Edward Holmes Baldock, circa 1835
- walnut, rosewood, elm
The offered table is unusually not stamped but the boldly scrolled legs and use of parquetry and fine specimen woods seem to relate to other examples by Baldock. Interestingly the piece would appear to reference the historic architectural style of the rooms at Fettercairn, notably the Saloon, where it has always been. Baldock seems a sensible attribution given the similarities in design of the piece with his output and given the relationship Forbes had with the company.
Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845) is first recorded in 1805 at 7 Hannway Street, London as a "...dealer in china and glass" and later in 1821 as "...an antique and Ornamental furniture dealer". By 1826 he had expanded his services to encompass "...buying, selling, exchanging and valuing china cabinets, screens, bronzes etc." From 1832 until his death, he secured the royal patronage, firstly of William IV and then Queen Victoria to whom he was variously a purveyor of earthenware, glass and china. Furniture supplied by Baldock was often branded with the initials `EHB'. However it is not known whether such pieces were manufactured at Hanway Street or whether this was simply a retail outlet for goods designed by him and produced elsewhere. Much of Baldock's furniture was 18th century with 19th century adaptations. Hence Baldock can be regarded as acting in the tradition of the eminent marchands-merciers such as Daguerre and Poirier rather than a manufacturer. In this capacity, Baldock played a significant role forming collections of fine furniture during the early 19th century, including those of George IV, William Beckford, George Byng M.P. the Duke of Buccleuch and Marquess of Lothian and now apparently Sir John Stuart Forbes.