- Hermann Corrodi
- The Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem
- signed H. Corrodi Roma lower left
- oil on canvas
Corrodi's view is from the nearby Al-Aqsa mosque just to the south, whose main ablution fountain, known as al-Kas ('the Cup'), is seen in the foreground. It is used by worshipers to perform wudu, a ritual washing of the hands, arms, legs, feet, and face before entry into the mosque. It was first built in 709 by the Umayyads, but in 1327–28 Governor Tankiz enlarged it to accommodate more worshipers. It was originally supplied with water from Solomon's Pools near Bethlehem.
The present picture may be the work formerly in the collection of Kaiser Wilhelm II, who is known to have bought a picture showing 'the sacred fountain before the Mosque of Omar in Jerusalem' from the artist's studio in Rome on 18 September 1892.