The painting is after an engraving by Jean-Louis Houël, printed in Paris between 1782 and 1787 as 'Voyage Pittoresque des Isles de Sicile, de Lipari et de Malte'. On the Cabinet Service, please see N.B. von Wolf (ed. T. Nosovich), Imperatorskii farforovyi zavod, 1744-1904, St Petersburg, 2003, pp. 83-84, 88-89; and T. Kudriavtseva, Russian Imperial Porcelain, St Petersburg, 2003, pp. 65-67.