Two chimneypieces attributed to Lorenzo Cardelli with one in collaboration with Cesare Aguatti were sold in these rooms on 20 November 2007, lot 114 and 115 respectively and were removed from Downhill Castle, County Derry, prior to its demolition in 1950. They are very similar to that of the Penrice Castle chimneypiece and together they feature the same arrangement of three oval medallions to the frieze panel, distinctive ribbon carved mouldings and paterae to the jambs and surrounding anthemion border to the aperture.
A chimneypiece of almost identical design to the present lot is in the Queen’s ante-chamber at Palazzo Pitti, with another in the Quirinale. (González-Palacios, op.cit. 1986). A second chimneypiece in the Palazzo Pitti, situated in the Sala Meridiana (fig. 1) with slightly different decorative elements under the mantelpiece is dated 1807, and attributed to the sculptor Carlo Albacini, who at the time was also a dealer in antiquities. He bought, restored and supplied chimneypieces to patrons in England. (Colle, op.cit. 2000, p24). Similar mosaic panels were also made by Raffaelli.
Of further interest is a chimneypiece attributed to Cardelli and Valadier, sold by Carlo Albacini to Thomas Mansel Talbot of Margam when he visited Italy in 1773. This piece is now in a private collection, (Cornforth, op.cit. 1975).
Lorenzo Cardelli and Cesare Aguatti
Well known in Rome as a restorer and ornamental carver, Lorenzo Cardelli (1733–1794), worked marble and porphyry. The young Antonio Canova (1757 – 1822) whose workshop was next door to that of Lorenzo Cardelli, favourably commented on Cardelli’s fireplaces, porphyry and hardstone work, when visiting his workshop in November 1779, (González-Palacios, op.cit. , Milan, 1993, pp. 245-246). Furthermore, royal and aristocratic commissions at the time promoted the association and collaboration with fellow celebrated craftsmen like, Luigi Valadier , Carlo Albacini and the mosaicists, Cesare Aguatti and Giacomo Raffaelli. In 1775, Cardelli was commissioned by Prince Marcantonio Borghese to supply chimneypieces to the Palazzo Borghese in Rome, where he collaborated with amongst others, Luigi Valadier.
Cesare Aguatti, (also known as Agnatti) was active in Rome during the latter part of the eighteenth century. His relationship to the mosaicist Antonio Aguatti has not been established, but along with fellow mosaicists at the time, amongst others, Giacomo Raffaelli (1753 – 1836), and Michaelangelo Barberi (1787-1867), he is celebrated as one of the earliest mosaic craftsmen to use the tiny spun smalti filati, which are minute square and rectilinear tesserae, or glass threads. It is also pertinent to note that the etchings by Giovanni Piranesi (1720- 1778) as well as his publication of Diverse maniere d’adornare i cammini of 1769 would have had a great influence on the designs at the time, (fig. 2).
Moreover, in 1784-85 Cesare Aguatti was also commissioned by Prince Marcantionio Borghese to create mosaic panels at the Villa Borghese in Rome. During this period, he also worked on the restoration of the floors of the Baths of Otricoli in the rotunda of the Pio-Clementine Museum, and was involved in decorating mantelpieces. A mantelpiece featuring mosaic panels attributed to Aguatti is now in the Louvre Museum, Paris.
 (For further information see note by Roberto Valeriani, to Lot Lot 115, A carved statuary marble chimneypiece with 'rosso antico' relief plaques and micro-mosaic panels circa 1778, the chimneypiece attributed to Lorenzo Cardelli, the micro-mosaic panels attributed to Cesare Aguatti, Sold Sotheby’s 20 November 2007).
 For more information, see Gazetta Antiquara, di Roberto Valeriani, Le Diverse Maniere di Acquistare un Camino, Quando Roma divenne il centro di produzione di camini ambiti dall’aristocrazia europea, 25.5.2016.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale