Thence by descent to a member of the ‘Haus Preussen’.
The buildings immediately to the left and right form part of the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität founded in 1810, which since 1949 has been known as Berlin’s Humboldt University. The building to the left dating to the mid-18th century is the main building, formerly the palace of Prince Henry of Prussia. It was donated by Friedrich Wilhelm III after whom the university was named in 1828. Some of its most famous nineteenth-century students include Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx and Max Planck.
Immediately adjacent are the Neue Wache and the Zeughaus, to which Brücke dedicated another painting also on offer in this sale. The Kronprinzenpalais, the Crown Prince’s palace, opposite had been built in 1663 as a private residence and served as residence for the crown princes until it was given over to the National Gallery for its modern art collection in 1919. After destruction in World War II the building had to be rebuilt from the ground and is today a popular venue for various functions. The impressive neo-classical building next to it is the Royal Opera House built under Frederick II, the Great, between 1741 and 1743 as part of the planned Forum Fridericianum. In its history the opera house had to be rebuilt three times – once in 1843 and then in 1942 and 1955 by Richard Paulick as Deutsche Staatsoper Berlin, the famous German state opera, which after extensive refurbishment will open again to the public later this year.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale