The Master of 1336 (formerly known as the Master of Popiglio)
- The Master of 1336 (formerly known as the Master of Popiglio)
- The Madonna della Misericordia
- tempera and gold on panel
- 92.5 x 46 cm.; 36 3/8 x 18 1/8 in.
Baron Wilfried von Quast, Murnau (as Giovanni da Milano);
With Julius Böhler, Munich (on commission from the above for 25,000 DM, as Allegretto Nuzi, on 26 September 1951, inv. no. 86-51);
Returned unsold to Wilfried Quast on 13 April 1953;
With Julius Böhler, Munich;
Acquired from the above by the father of the present owner on 18 April 1953, for 6,000 DM;
Thence by inheritance.
Lugano, Villa Favorita, Fondazione Thyssen-Bomemisza, Manifestatori delle cose Miracolose, 7 April – 30 June 1991, no. 69.
B. Klesse, Seidenstoffe in der italienischen Malerei des 14. Jahrhunderts, Bern 1967, p. 92, reproduced fig. 120 (as anonymous);
M. Boskovits, Pittura fiorentina alla vigilia del Rinascimento 1370–1400, Florence 1975, p. 250, n. 254 (as 'Maestro di Popiglio', now called Master of 1336);
P.P. Donati, 'Per la Pittura Pistoiese del Trecento – II. Il Maestro del 1336', Paragone, 321, 1976, p. 14, n. 1;
G. Freuler in Manifestatori delle cose Miracolose, exhibition catalogue, Lugano 1991, pp. 186–89, p. 278, cat. no. 69, reproduced in colour on p. 187 and details on p. 188.
The artist takes his name from a fresco in Santa Maria delle Grazie, Pistoia, which was painted to give thanks for a miracle attributed to the Virgin Mary in the year 1336. At this date, Pistoia's situation at the foot of the Apennines made it an important crossroads in the commercial interchange between Tuscany and the north of Italy, and as the host to a relic of Saint James, an important pilgrimage site. Artists in Pistoia benefited from the proximity of Florence to the south-east and were thus able to stay up-to-date with the stylistic developments of the major artistic centres. Giotto's influence, for example, was transmitted to Pistoia through the work of Maso da Banco and Puccio di Simone, both of whom worked in Pistoia for a while. It is no doubt thanks to these artistic cross-currents that the Master of 1336's paintings are characterised by a remarkable expressiveness and figurative language. The œuvre of this as-yet unidentified but intriguing master was first formally gathered by Pier Paolo Donati in 1976, expanding an initial grouping by Miklós Boskovits, who initially named him after a work formerly in the church of Popiglio and today in the Museo Civico in Pistoia. Gaudenz Freuler proposed that the earliest known work by the artist is the polyptych in the Museo della Collegiata in Empoli, followed by the aforementioned Popiglio panel, and then the Madonna in the Acton Collection in Florence. As he further notes, the pre-eminence of the two Dominicans in the ranks of the supplicants supports the possibility that this panel may originally have formed part of an altar in the Church of San Domenico in Pistoia, where the Master of 1336 also painted a fresco of the Madonna and Child.