According to the colophon (f. 12v), the work was completed by Israel David Luzzatto (1746-1806) on May 10, 1804. On the following page (f. 13r) appears a copy of the kabbalah (certificate) issued to Luzzatto affirming his proficiency in the relevant laws and granting him the right to serve as a ritual slaughterer of both fowl and cattle, signed Sunday, 22 Sivan 566 (June 8, 1806) by Rabbis Azriel Isaac (Bonaiut Isak) Levi (d. 1809), Mazliah Moses Ariani, Samuel Hayyim Senigalia, and Jehiel Menahem Urbino (the last of whom was the community’s official ritual slaughter). A postscript on f. 16r, dated July 24, 1815 and written in a different hand, features an illustration of a bird with its esophagus and trachea protruding.
Aside from copying our manuscript, Luzzatto was also the artist of a series of sukkah decorations, one of which is currently in the collection of the Jewish Museum in New York and the other six of which are at the Smithsonian Institution. The Jewish Museum plaque, the only one of the set that Luzzatto signed, was produced ca. 1775 in Trieste and features the entire text of Ecclesiastes written in micrography in the form of an astrolabe.
Norman L. Kleeblatt and Vivian B. Mann, Treasures of the Jewish Museum (New York: Universe Books, 1986), 86-87.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale