The marble and volcanic stone top closely relates to a group of similar table tops acquired by British Grand Tourists between the second half of the 18th century and the early 19th century, including Patrick Home of Wedderburn (1728-1808) at Paxton House, while three similar slabs were purchased by Brownlow Cecil, 9th Earl of Exeter (1725-1793) for Burghley House, Lincolnshire. These slabs are reminiscent of the work of Flemish-born Giuseppe Canart (d. 1791), known to have produced at least two table tops inlaid with specimen marbles and volcanic stones for the Royal Palace of Naples in the 1780s. These are both decorated with a grid of oval patterns based on the ornamental repertoire found in the mosaic floors of Pompeii and Herculaneum. A related top, described as 'undoubtedly Neapolitan, late 18th century' is in the Museo del Prado, Madrid, inv. no. 4981, illustrated in González-Palacios, Las colecciones reales españolas de mosaicos y piedras duras, Madrid, 1990, p. 264.