The principal series was first woven at the Gobelins manufactory, Paris, circa 1665, and consisted of five episodes especially commissioned by Louis XIV from Charles Le Brun. The Crossing of Granicus, The Battle of Arbela, The Family of Darius, Alexander and Porus and The Triumph of Alexander. The tapestries were prolifically reproduced and simplified in design when woven by other workshops including those in Aubusson and Felletin. The borders often incorporated military trophies and flowers, against a dark brown ground, see a comparable weaving, with border, Sotheby's, Park Bernet, New York, 30 May 1980, lot 568, and see another, within a scrolling ribbon and floral border, Göbel, Heinrich, Die Wandteppiche, 1928, Part II, Vol.ii, no. 263.