73
73
Dent, London
A FINE GOLD OPEN-FACED MINUTE REPEATING LEVER WATCH 1903, NO. 32675
Estimate
7,0009,000
JUMP TO LOT
73
Dent, London
A FINE GOLD OPEN-FACED MINUTE REPEATING LEVER WATCH 1903, NO. 32675
Estimate
7,0009,000
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

The Celebration of the English Watch Part IV, George Daniels 20th Century Innovator

|
London

Dent, London
A FINE GOLD OPEN-FACED MINUTE REPEATING LEVER WATCH 1903, NO. 32675
Movement: gilded three-quarter plate, ratchet tooth lever escapement, bi-metallic compensation balance, polished steel hammers repeating on coiled gongs, signed and numbered Dent Watchmaker to Her Late Majesty, 34 Cockspur Street, London, No. 32675
Dial: gold engine-turned centre, white enamel chapter ring with radial Arabic numerals and outer minute ring with gilded ring between, blued steel spade hands, subsidiary seconds, signed and numbered Dent, 34 Cockspur Street, London, 32675
Case: plain gold case, the back centred with a monogram, engraved to the inside back Albert Niclausse, hallmarked London 1903 and further stamped with French Owl import mark used from 1893, numbered 32675 and with maker's mark RN in rectangular cameo for Robert Benson North
diameter 57.5mm
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Antiquorum Geneva, The Art of British Horology, 21st October 1995, lot 182

Literature

Terence Camerer Cuss, The English Watch 1585-1970, 2009, p. 439, pl. 284

Catalogue Note

The very fine quality movement of this watch was supplied to Dent by Nicole, Nielsen & Co., who, like Hector Golay (see lot 77), produced some of the finest complication English movements of the latter part of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. Relatively few watches are signed by Nicole, Nielsen & Co., the firm more usually supplying their movements to prominent makers such as Dent and Frodsham. The superb dial has a sophisticated design, combining a gold engine-turned centre with white enamel chapter ring; whilst distinctly English in flavour, it can perhaps be seen as an Anglicisation of early 19th century dial designs made popular by A-L. Breguet.

E. Dent & Co was founded by Edward John Dent (1790-1853). Edward was employed by the Vulliamys and the Barrauds before going into partnership with John Roger Arnold in 1830. In 1840 Edward set up his own company and, a year before his death, he won the contract for creating the Great Clock for Parliament's clock tower (now known as the Elizabeth tower) and popularly referred to as "Big Ben". He was succeeded by his step-sons Frederick and Richard who assumed his name. In both the 19th and 20th centuries, the firm supplied marine chronometers and watches to the Royal Navy and also received Royal Warrants.

The Celebration of the English Watch Part IV, George Daniels 20th Century Innovator

|
London