Born in Venice in 1912, Gino Sarfatti studied Naval engineering in Genoa but soon developed up a new favourite activity. After transforming a vase into a lamp at a customer`s request in the Milanese glass workshop in which he worked, he set up S.A. Arteluce
with a partner, just before the war. It was after the war, in 1949, that his business started gaining success, particularly when getting wider exposure during the Chicago MUSA exhibit
in 1950. Acclaimed for his innovative designs, several of his models received Italy`s renowned Compasso d`Oro
in 1954 and 1955, amongst other prizes. More and more of his lighting designs were exhibited, culminating in his receiving the Gold Medal at the XVth Milan Triennale – the same year in which his company closed and was transferred to Flos. Whilst setting up his first workshop, he described his work as `Illuminazione razionale
` - or `Rational lighting
This ceiling lamp is made in acrylic and lacquered aluminium, that bears an almost leather like patina. Its lampshade is designed into a succession of ripples that seem to hang mid-air.