282
JUMP TO LOT
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Collections

|
London

A Regency brass inlaid ebonay, amboyna and rosewood library table, circa 1815, attributed to George Bullock
with two short frieze drawers
74cm. high, 92cm. wide, 71.5cm. deep; 2ft. 5¼in., 3ft. ¼in., 2ft. 4¼in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Catalogue Note

This library table, with its richly figured amboyna top, brass inlaid border and ebony ribbons, is conceived in the French 'buhl' manner and belongs to a group of 'Grecian furniture' manufactured by George Bullock (d. 1818) after his tour of Paris in 1814. Having visited Paris in 1814 Bullock returned to England inspired to establish his new London 'Mona Marble and Furniture' works at 4 Tenterden Street, Hanover Square (C. Wainwright, George Bullock: Cabinet-Maker, London, 1988, p. 157).

The present table-top displays a ribbon of trefoiled sprigs, which replaced the more common French laurel-wreath and was much favoured by Bullock. An oak sofa table at Boughton House, Northamptonshire, with identical borders was acquired directly from Bullock by the 4th Duke of Buccleuch in 1814. The borders also appear on the suite of furniture manufactured for Don Pedro de Souza e Holstein, 1st Duke of of Palmella (d. 1850), Portuguese ambassador to the court of the Prince Regent, later King George IV, the majority of which was sold Christie’s, London, 25 July 1987, lots 171-181 (L. Wood, 'George Bullock and the Duke of Palmella', National Art Collections Fund Review, 1988, pp. 96-100). The columnar supports with arched feet and foliate decoration relate closely to a sofa table supplied by Bullock to Mathew Robinson Boulton (1770 – 1842) for his house Strattons on the Great Tew Park estate. (Sold Christie’s, London, Great Tew Park, 27-29 May 1987, lot 340). As one of the few recorded commissions with extant bills, it certainly grounds the present table within Bullock’s oeuvre and secures the attribution.

Collections

|
London