114
114

PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN

A pair of Italian gilt-bronze mounted green granite, red porphyry and alabaster columns, Rome
 
circa 1790
JUMP TO LOT
114

PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN

A pair of Italian gilt-bronze mounted green granite, red porphyry and alabaster columns, Rome
 
circa 1790
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Collections

|
London

A pair of Italian gilt-bronze mounted green granite, red porphyry and alabaster columns, Rome
 
circa 1790
with finely cast ionic capitals surmounted by gilt-bronze figures of Mercury and Fortuna after the models by Giambologna, on a stepped plinth base inset with porphyry panels
each 88cm. high; 2ft. 10¾in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Possibly acquired in Rome by Frederick Augustus Harvey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry (1730-1803) or by his son, John Hervey, Lord Hervey (1757-1796); thence by descent to the Barons Howard de Walden; by descent to the present owner

Catalogue Note

This remarkable pair of columns epitomizes the taste for the antique common to a large number of Grand Tourists who spent time in Italy between the mid-18th century and the first decades of the 19th century. In Rome, a number of botteghe specialized in the production of such items, which often mixed precious antique marbles, gilt-bronze and bronzes after Renaissance models. Two such workshops were those of the Valadier family and of Francesco Righetti. Some pieces produced in the latter share a similar decorative language and materials employed; see for instance the plinth of a gilt-bronze figure of Moses sold Sotheby's London, 10 June 1998, lot 62.

The 'Ophytes' green granite, from Egypt, was first employed in Imperial Rome and during the Medieval and Modern times, especially for the creation of small, decorative columns. For the employ of red porphyry on the plinth base, see the model of an obelisk sold Christie’s London, 6 December 2007, lot 230.

The 4th Earl of Bristol’s legendary collection was assembled during his prolonged sojourn in Italy. Two chimney-pieces from the collection, formerly installed at Downhill Castle, County Derry, sold Sotheby’s London, 20 November 2007, lots 114 and 115.

Collections

|
London