The 'Rozes détachées et mosaïques'
(detached roses and mosaics) pattern was used for the decoration of several services produced at Sèvres between 1768 and 1775. Among those presented here, the plate dated 1768 was probably part of a service delivered to the dealer Jean-Dominique Testard, acting on behalf of the Duke of Parma and today most of the service is still housed at the Quirinale Palace. Twenty-one of our plates mainly dated between 1770 and 1775 as well as a plate dated 1786 and the punch bowl were most probably from a service shipped to Charles-Philippe, Comte d'Artois on 3 June 1775. Another 'rozes détachées et mosaïques'
service was delivered, nine days after those to the Comte d'Artois, to the Marquis de Juigné, French Ambassador to Russia. This service, mostly kept in the Pavlosk Palace, is of hard paste porcelain, while our plates are made of soft paste porcelain. Only the punch bowl in our service is hard paste porcelain with another punch bowl delivered to the Marquis de Juigné and now in the Pavlosk Palace and the Comte d'Artois's service included two punch bowls. In 1786, the Comte d'Artois received some additions for his 'roze et mosaïque service'
, the presence here of a plate dated 1786 confirms this hypothesis. Nineteen plates and two ice pails dated between 1770 and 1771 (two additional plates dated 1792) are of a slightly different mosaic pattern, probably from a service bought by the marchand-mercier
Simon-Philippe Poirier in 1771.
For further research of these different services see David Peters, Sèvres Plates and Services of the 18th Century, 2015, No. 69-1, 71-8 and 79-3.