These four plates most likely were part of a service with a pink ground purchased during the first half of the year 1774 by Jacques Dumoulin, jeweler in Paris. The service, comprising 36 plates, was still complete in 1860 when it was presented at auction (Christie's London, 10 May 1860, lot 122). It was then divided during the 20th century. The Hillwood Museum in Washington D.C. houses six ice cups and two triple compartment salt cellars (Liana Parades Arend, Sèvres Porcelain at Hillwood
, 1998, pp.13 and 42, figs 5 and 21), two plates are present in the collections of the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg (Nina Birioukova, La porcelaine de Sèvres au XVIIIe siècle
[18th century Sèvres porcelain] catalogue of the Hermitage Museum collections, pp. 255-256, no. 1087 and 1088), four plates are also kept at the Huntington Art Gallery (J. Weaver, French Art of the Eighteenth Century at the Huntington
, 2008, pp. 262-265, no. 106).
For further discussion of this service see David Peters¸ Sèvres Plates and Services of the 18th century, 2015, vol. III, pp. 525-527, no. 74-6 where the author states that there is uncertainty about the use of the letter-date X, supposed to designate the year 1775 but appearing on objects sold in 1774.