251
251
A set of two covered ice cups from the Saint Georges order porcelain service, Moscow, Gardner manufactory, 18th century, circa 1777-78
Estimate
5,0008,000
LOT SOLD. 12,500 EUR
JUMP TO LOT
251
A set of two covered ice cups from the Saint Georges order porcelain service, Moscow, Gardner manufactory, 18th century, circa 1777-78
Estimate
5,0008,000
LOT SOLD. 12,500 EUR
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Une Dynastie Américaine en Europe - Collections Eleanor Post Close & Antal Post de Bekessy

|
Paris

A set of two covered ice cups from the Saint Georges order porcelain service, Moscow, Gardner manufactory, 18th century, circa 1777-78
one with a polychrome emblem of the order, knotted by a ribbon of the order holding a cross, surrounded by a foliate branches, the lid as a dome with flower garlands, simulated golden gadroons, the handle as a flower, the other ice cup with radiating foliage, the ribbon and the cross of the order of St Georges, the lid topped by a squirrel, marked with the blue letter G underneath the glaze; (one handle refixed, a chip on one lid)
Quantity: 2
Haut. :11 cm. et 11,5 cm. ; Height 4 1/3 in., and 4 1/2 in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Catalogue Note

Commissioned by the Empress Catherine II of Russia, the service of the Order of St. George was delivered in 1778 by Francis Gardner's private manufactory. The set, intended to serve eighty people, cost 6,000 rubles. The decorator GI Kozlov designed this service based on the Berlin porcelain set presented to Catherine II by Frederick II of Prussia in 1772. The four grand services of the Imperial Orders (St. George, St. Andrew, St. Alexander Nevsky and St. Vladimir) were housed in the storerooms of the Winter Palace and each used once a year during the ceremony in honor of the Knights of the correlating Order. The Order of St. George service was first used on 26 November 1778 and for the last time on 26 November 1916.

A large part of this service was kept in the collections of the Hermitage Museum and several items in the collections of the Hillwood Museum in Washington D.C. (K. Taylor, Russian Art at Hillwood, Washington, 1988, Fig. 105, p.72 and L. Nikifora, Russian Porcelain in the Hermitage, Leningrad, 1973 and the recent exhibition at the Hermitage Museum : From the dinner-service storerooms, decorating the Russian Imperial table in the Eighteenth to Early Twentieth Centuries, the State Hermitage Museum, 2016, cat.112.4 and 12.5, p.247).

Une Dynastie Américaine en Europe - Collections Eleanor Post Close & Antal Post de Bekessy

|
Paris