7
7

A PAIR OF ITALIAN PIETRE DURE MARQUETRY PANELS, FLORENCE, GRAND DUCAL WORKSHOPS, LATE 17TH/EARLY 18TH CENTURY

Paire de panneaux en marqueterie de pierres dures italiennes, Florence, Ateliers Grand-Ducaux, fin du XVIIe/début du XVIIIe siècles
Estimate
70,000100,000
LOT SOLD. 143,750 EUR
JUMP TO LOT
7

A PAIR OF ITALIAN PIETRE DURE MARQUETRY PANELS, FLORENCE, GRAND DUCAL WORKSHOPS, LATE 17TH/EARLY 18TH CENTURY

Paire de panneaux en marqueterie de pierres dures italiennes, Florence, Ateliers Grand-Ducaux, fin du XVIIe/début du XVIIIe siècles
Estimate
70,000100,000
LOT SOLD. 143,750 EUR
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Trésors de la prestigieuse collection Qizilbash / Treasures from the Prestigious Qizilbash Collection

|
Paris

Paire de panneaux en marqueterie de pierres dures italiennes, Florence, Ateliers Grand-Ducaux, fin du XVIIe/début du XVIIIe siècles
en marqueterie de lapis-lazuli, albâtre, agate, calcédoine, brèche d’Afrique, marbre vert antique l’un figurant un paysage avec une ferme au bord d’un lac et des bergers et leur chien au premier plan ; l’autre un bord de mer aux barques et bateaux, des pêcheurs au premier plan et un village surplombant une falaise à la gauche de l’arrière-plan ; chaque scène dans un encadrement en marbre noir postérieur ; une ancienne étiquette au dos de l’un des panneaux inscrite … GUINNESS

A pair of Italian pietre dure marquetry panels, Florence, grand ducal workshops, late 17th/early 18th century



each panel inlaid with pietre dure, lapis lazuli, alabaster, agate, africano, breccia, verde antico, one panel depicting a landscape with a house by a lake with shepherds, the other depicting a seascape with fishermen and boats with cliffs and a village to the left of the image, both scenes within later black marble borders, one of the panels reported to have a paper label to the reverse inscribed ‘...GUINNESS....’

 


Quantity: 2
Haut. 37 cm, long. 61,5 cm.
37cm. high, 61.5cm. wide; 1ft. 2½in., 2ft.¼in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Probablement acquis par le 6e Vicomte Powerscourt en Italie et par descendance dans la famille Wingfield à Powerscourt, à Enniskerry, comté de Wicklow, Ireland

acquis avec Powerscourt par Mr. et Mrs. Ralph Slazenger vente de la collection Powerscourt, Christie’s, 24 / 25 septembre 1984, lot 483

PROVENANCE

Probably purchased by the 6th Viscount Powerscourt in Italy and by descent in the Wingfield family at Powerscourt, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, Ireland

Purchased with Powerscourt by Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Slazenger; sold Christie’s house sale, 24-25 September 1984, lot 483

Literature

BIBLIOGRAPHIE

Annamaria Giusti (dir.), Il Museo dell’Opificio delle Pietre Dure a Firenze, Milan, 1978 Annamaria Giusti (éd.), Splendori di Pietre Dure, L’Arte di Corte nella Firenze dei Granduchi, cat. exp. Palazzo Pitti, Florence, 1988

Simon Swynfen Jervis, D. Dodd, Roman Splendour, English Arcadia: The English Taste for Pietre dure and The Sixtus Cabinet at Stourhead, cat. exp. The National Trust, Londres, 2015

Alvar González-Palacios, Il Gusto dei Principi, Milan, 1993

Wolfram Koeppe, Annamaria Giusti, The Art of the Royal Court, Treasures in

Pietre Dure from the Palaces of Europe, cat. exp. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2008;

Ferdinando Rossi, La Pittura di Pietra, Florence, 1967 et 1995

COMPARATIVE LITERATURE

Annamaria Giusti and others, Il Museo dell’Opificio delle Pietre Dure a Firenze, Milan, 1978 Annamaria Giusti, ed., Splendori di Pietre Dure, L’Arte di Corte nella Firenze dei Granduchi, Exhibition Catalogue, Palazzo Pitti, 21st December 1988-30th April 1989

Simon Swynfen Jervis & Dudley Dodd, Roman Splendour, English Arcadia: The English Taste for Pietre dure and The Sixtus Cabinet at Stourhead, London, 2015

Alvar González-Palacios, Il Gusto dei Principi, Milan, 1993

Wolfram Koeppe and Annamaria Giusti, The Art of the Royal Court, Treasures in Pietre Dure from the Palaces of Europe, Exhibition Catalogue, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, July 1st-September 21st 2008

Ferdinando Rossi, La Pittura di Pietra, Firenze, 1967 & 1995

Catalogue Note


THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF THIS NOTE FOLLOWS THE FRENCH

Notice de catalogue

Cette impressionnante paire de panneaux en marqueterie de pierres dures, de dimensions plus importantes qu’à l’accoutumé, atteste de la virtuosité technique atteinte par les ateliers florentins à la fin du XVIIe et tout au long du XVIIIe siècle, rivalisant dans l’illusion naturaliste de ses paysages animés avec les peintres les plus talentueux de leur temps. Il est aisé d’oublier que ces panneaux affichant une parfaite maîtrise du clair-obscur et des effets dramatiques de la lumière – particulièrement sensible dans les camaïeux de gris simulant les ceils menaçants d’avant la tempête - que nous ne sommes pas devant des tableaux mais bien confondus par le travail plus vrai que nature d’un lapidaire excellent dans le choix des pierres et dans la précision de leur assemblage.

Sous l’impulsion du grand-duc Ferdinand 1er de Médicis (1549-1609), les ateliers florentins des Lavori in Pietre Dure, rebaptisés Opificio delle pietre dure au début du XIXe siècle, ouvrent en 1588. Réputés pour la réalisation d’objets et de meubles parmi les plus somptueux de la Renaissance, les ateliers grand-ducaux remettent en question la suprématie de la peinture sur toile ou sur panneaux en produisant de véritable tableaux de pierres dures, bousculant ainsi la definition traditionnellement établie des Beaux-Arts et son carcan hiérarchique.

Ces panneaux furent précédemment attribués à Baccio Cappelli, un lapidaire florentin de renom travaillant essentiellement sous la direction du sculpteur Giovanni Battista Foggini (1652-1725) qui prit la tête des ateliers grand-ducaux sous Côme III (1670-1723) puis sous François 1er (1708-1765) empereur du Saint Empire Germanique et Grand-Duc de Toscane de 1737 à 1765 (sous le nom de François II). Bien que la cour des derniers Médicis fut réputée avoir vécu sur les lustres d’une grandeur passée, Côme III soutint sans relâche les ateliers grandducaux, arantissant les moyens financiers nécessaires au maintien d’un savoir-faire inégalé dans l’art de la marqueterie de pierres dures.

Nous pouvons rapprocher ces deux panneaux d’un ensemble signé en 1709 par Cappelli et qui fut incorporé en 1771 à un cabinet réalisé par Robert Adam pour la duchesse de Manchester et destiné à sa résidence de Kimbolton Castle (Victoria & Albert Museum, inv. no. W.43-1949 ; fig. 1). Ils ne sont pas non plus sans rappeler d’autres panneaux signés de Capelli ornant le Badminton Cabinet – datant de 1720/32 – puis acquis par Henry, 3e duc de Beaufort (Liechtenstein museum, Vienne, inv. no. MO1584). Bien que la vie de Baccio Cappelli soit fort peu documentée à ce jour, Alvar González-Palacios suggère, dans sa notice sur le cabinet Badminton (Christie’s, décembre 2004, p. 46), qu’il s’agit du fils d’Antonio Cappelli, lapidaire des ateliers sous Ferdinand II (1610-1670).

Malgré le déclin de la puissante famille Médicis puis le ralliement de la Toscane au Saint Empire Germanique, le savoir-faire des lapidaires et sculpteurs des atelier grand-ducaux n’a pas démérité au cours du XVIIIe siècle. Giusti indique qu’au cours des dernières années des Médicis, puis au temps de François II et jusqu’à la reprise des ateliers par Louis Siries, en 1748, la réalisation connaît une période de « transition » dans la production de vues architecturales et de paysages.

Ainsi, nous pouvons dater les deux panneaux de Powerscourt ici présents – avec d’autres panneaux similaires provenant des ateliers grand-ducaux et aujourd’hui au Museo dell’Opificio delle Pietre Dure (figs. 2, 3 et 4) – du début de cette période de transition, entre les premiers exemples plus simples – presque naïfs – de paysages et bords de mer animés en marqueterie de pierres dures et ceux plus élaborés produits au cours du XVIIIe siècle, comme les panneaux en pierres dures réalisés d’après les peintures de Giuseppe Zocchi (1711-67).

Les panneaux de Powerscourt présentés ici – de dimensions execptionnelles – occupent une place unique dans l’histoire des paysages en marqueterie de pierres dures. Ils se distinguent par des compositions de paysages plus complexes et l’application d’une virtuosité technique exquise.

Catalogue note

This impressively large pair of pietre dure mosaic panels represent the exquisite technical virtuosity and mastery in the Florentine art of pictorial pietre dure which developed from the late 17th century and throughout the 18th century.

It is easy to forget that these beautifully executed panels with their chiaroscuro and dramatic effects depicting figures in a rural scene, seascapes with fisherman and their boats against a backdrop of a pending storm, are in fact not oil on canvas, but instead created by the laborious and extremely skilled process of choosing stones for their visual appearance, cutting them and then assembling them together almost like a jigsaw-puzzle. Ferdinando de’ Medici not only established the Grand Ducal Workshops in 1588, but under his patronage it produced some of the most beautiful furniture and objects of the Renaissance and furthermore set about challenging the dominance of painting on canvas or board by creating paintings in stone that would rival, or exceed the more traditional definition of the Fine Arts. Initially named the Galleria de’ Lavori in Pietre Dure, it was renamed the Opificio delle Pietre Dure in the mid-1800s.

Previous research has attributed these panels to one of the mosaicists at the Galleria, namely, Baccio Cappelli, who worked under the directorship of the sculptor Giovanni Battista Foggini (1652-1725) at the court of Cosimo III (1670 – 1723) as well as during the reign of Francis Stephen I (1708 – 1765) who was Holy Roman Emperor and Grand Duke of Tuscany from 1737 – 1765. Whilst it is purported that the last Medici court might have entertained illusions of grandeur, Cosimo III never neglected his commitment to the Grand Ducal Manufactory and continued to make available financial resources which allowed it to maintain the excellent technical expertise and status needed to remain the artistic centre for pietre dure.

The panels here presented show strong similarities to those panels signed by Cappelli in 1709 and which were later incorporated on the Robert Adam cabinet of 1771, for the Duchess of Manchester at Kimbolton Castle (inv. no. W.43-1949, fig. 1). Cappelli’s signature is also on two of the floral and bird pietre dura panels on the Badminton Cabinet made between 1720 – 1732 and acquired by the Duke of Beaufort and which is now in the Lichtenstein Museum, Vienna. Whilst there is not very much information on the birth and death of Baccio Cappelli, Alvar González-Palacios, in his note on the The Badminton Cabinet, Christie's London, December 2004, p. 46, suggests that he was possibly the son of Antonio Cappelli, who was employed at the Workshops under Ferdinand II (1610 – 1670).

Notwithstanding the change in the ruling family and directorship over the centuries, the craftsmanship of the mosaicists, sculptors and designers at the Galleria always continued to achieve an excellent reputation. Giusti, op. cit., 1992, p. 113, suggests that during the final years of the Medici rule and into the earlier part of the reign of Francis Stephen I (1708 – 1765) and certainly up until Louis Siries took over direction of the Grand Ducal Manufactory in 1748, there was what can be called a "Transitional" period in the production of architectural and landscape views.

This places the two Powerscourt panels on offer, together with similar examples made at the Galleria and now in the Museo dell’Opificio delle Pietre Dure in Florence (figs. 2, 3 & 4) in the period between the earlier simpler almost naïve pictorial views and those produced later under the direction of Louis Siries from 1748, who enforced the approach that stone mosaic faithfully emulate the painted model, as seen in the later panels after paintings by Giuseppe Zocchi (1711-67) which in turn introduced the idea of "stone painting".

One could thus argue that this allows the present Powerscourt panels, which are larger than most others, a unique place in the Galleria’s stone landscape history and furthermore shows their distinction in that they not only present more complicated pictorial effects, but noticeable skill in the display of the material qualities of the stones used.

 

 

Trésors de la prestigieuse collection Qizilbash / Treasures from the Prestigious Qizilbash Collection

|
Paris