Lot 9
  • 9

A pair of Regency carved mahogany side chairs, circa 1810, after a design by Thomas Sheraton, possibly by Marsh and Tatham

Estimate
20,000 - 30,000 GBP
Sold
bidding is closed

Description

  • mahogany
each with reeded frame and a curved tablet top-rail flanked by lion-masks, above a pierced curved splat with lion-mask base on a splayed-fluted support, the padded seat on reeded rails above front carved lion monopodiae legs on paw feet and naturalistic animal back legs

Provenance

Possibly supplied as part of a large set to Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 2nd Earl Talbot of Hensol (1777-1849), Ingestre Hall, Staffordshire

Catalogue Note

This pair of chairs, with its sophisticated design, are possibly from a famous suite of seat furniture designed for the dining room at Ingestre Hall in Staffordshire. From 1808, Charles, the 2nd Earl Talbot of Hensol (1777-1849) began a programme of improvement to his family seat and commissioned the great Regency architect John Nash (1752-1835) to design changes for both the exterior and the interior at the old Hall.

The design of the chair is very much in line with the antique manner popularised by the architect Charles Heathcote Tatham (1772-1842) whose Etchings of Grecian and Roman Architectural Ornament, 1806 was used as source of inspiration for cabinet-makers, such as his brother Thomas and partner William Marsh.  The partnership’s pursuit of a pure form of neo-classicism referencing the antique was famous and exhibited notably in commissions for George IV for whom Nash also contemporaneously worked.

A design related to the present lot was published by Thomas Sheraton in 1805 in his seminal Cabinet Encyclopedia, pl. L.1. with similar back and legs but presenting a concave seat.

A set of 12 chairs (two armchairs and 10 side chairs) of the above mentioned Talbot suite was sold by descendants of the 2nd Earl with Christie’s London, 29th March 1984, lot 72, and subsequently in the same rooms in 7 July 1994, lot 50 (£463,500).

Close