Lot 3
  • 3

A pair of George III mahogany hall chairs, circa 1760

Estimate
10,000 - 15,000 GBP
Sold
bidding is closed

Description

  • paint mahogany
the shell-shaped back and seat above cabriole legs joined by an H-stretcher, the back with painted crest for the Elwes Baronets

Catalogue Note

The 1763 edition of Thomas Chippendale’s  Director includes as plate XXIV three Designs for Garden Seats, number C illustrating an open armchair, its back and seat each being carved in the form of a shell ‘proper for Grottos’.  The present model, with its sgabello inspired back leg might pre-date Chippendale's edition. Several grotto or hall chairs in similar fashion exist, eg., the suite of padouk chairs at St. Giles’s House, Dorset, which might have furnished the grotto built by the fourth Earl of Shaftesbury (1711-1771).

An identical pair of chairs to the present lot was sold by the Earl of Guildford with Christie’s, Lissadel Sale, Co. Sligo, Ireland, 25 November 2003, lot 221, with later painted crest.

The Elwes Baronetcy, of Stoke in the County of Suffolk, was a title in the Baronetage of England created in 1660 for Gervase Elwes, MP for Sudbury and Suffolk. The second Baronet, Sir Hervey Elwes (1683-1763) and his nephew John Elwes, were notable misers, the latter being reputedly the inspiration for Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol character Scrooge. The title became extinct on the death of the fourth Baronet in 1787.

Close