Nicolaes van Verendael
- Nicolaes van Verendael
- Vanitas still life with flowers, a skull, hourglass, conch shell and silver jug on a partially draped table
- signed and indistinctly dated lower centre on the parchment: Nicolaes van verendael / anno 1680
- oil on canvas
- 98.3 x 77.2 cm.; 38 3/4 x 30 3/8 in.
The painting may be closely compared to another smaller canvas on the vanitas theme in the Galleria Franchetti at the Ca' d'Oro, Venice.2 Dated 1679, the vanitas elements in that work were painted by Hendrick Andriessen. Verendael is known to have collaborated with several other artists in such works that expanded on the pure flower still lifes of his particular expertise; he painted with Carstian Luyckx, David Teniers and others. Both this and the Ca’ d’Oro canvas share several elements such as the candle stick, pipe and pipe cleaner. The skull too may be one and the same.
1. J. Weyerman, De Levensbeschryvingen der Nederlandse Konstschilders en Konstschilderessen, Dordrecht 1729, vol. III, pp. 234–36.
2. RKD online image no. 198002.