57
57
Attributed to Antonino Gagini (circa 1505-1574)
Italian, probably Sicily, 16th century
ANNUNCIATION GROUP
Estimate
25,00035,000
JUMP TO LOT
57
Attributed to Antonino Gagini (circa 1505-1574)
Italian, probably Sicily, 16th century
ANNUNCIATION GROUP
Estimate
25,00035,000
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Old Master Sculpture and Works of Art Including Highlights from the Reinhold Hofstätter Collection

|
London

Attributed to Antonino Gagini (circa 1505-1574)
Italian, probably Sicily, 16th century
ANNUNCIATION GROUP
marble
Virgin: 57 by 39 by 13cm., 22½ by 15 3/8  by 5 1/8 in.
Angel: 53 by 47 by 13cm., 20 7/8  by 18½ by 5 1/8 in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Demetrio Tolosani, Florence, first half 20th century

Literature

S. Bargellini, Antiquari di ieri a Firenze, 1981 (illustrated)

Catalogue Note

This calm Annunciation group has been given to Antonino Gagini by Alfredo Bellandi. Antonino was a talented third generation member of the important Lombard family of sculptors who operated in Sicily in the late 15th and 16th centuries. In his expertise, Alfredo Bellandi highlights the conceptual similarity with the Annunciation by Antonino's father Antonello Gagini (1478 - 1536), now in the Museo Civico, Erice: in particular in the folds of drapery and in the poses. Antoninio worked with his father at the Tribuna of the Duomo at Palermo between 1510 and 1570 and the two opened a workshop in the city, from where they exported sculpture throughout Sicity and Calabria. Noting that, throughout his career Antonino was indebted to his father's style, he points out that the Archangel Gabriel wears the same garb as an angel from the Altar of the Duomo in Palermo, attributed to the workshop of Antonello. Bellandi compares the present Annunciation with the Annunciation made by Antonino and Giacomo Gagini in 1545 for the church of Saint Oliva, Trapani. The naturalism and the faces are close to those of the Madonna con bambino in the Museo Nazionale di Messina by Antonello Gagini. Bellandi further observes the similarity in facial type between the present Virgin and Antonino's St Michael in the Abbey of Alcamo.

The present marbles were probably commissioned for a private chapel, an altar or a portal of the palace of an aristocratic Sicilian family. They were formerly in the collection of the distinguished connoisseur and art dealer Demetrio Tolosani, who was active in Florence in the first half of the 20th century, and played a seminal role in the international Anglo-American art market at the time. Close to Elia Volpi and to the dealer Stefano Bardini, he reached the top of his career when he furnished 'La Capponcina', the Capponi family villa at Settignano, where Gabriele D’Annunzio lived between 1898 and 1910.
 
Alfredo Bellandi's expertise, together with comparative images, is available upon request.

Old Master Sculpture and Works of Art Including Highlights from the Reinhold Hofstätter Collection

|
London