This beautifully carved and evocative figure of St James exhibits the stockiness and heavy, rounded, folds of drapery associated with Burgundian sculpture from the 15th century. The face, with deep ocular orbits, prominent eyelids, high cheekbones and forked beard, is remarkably close to the figure of Nicodemus from the Mise au Tombeau
in Semur-en-Auxois, commissioned by Jacotin and Pernette Ogier circa 1480-1490. The group has been associated with the famous sculptor Antoine Le Moiturier (1425-1495) who was responsible for the Tomb of Philippe Pot
, now in the Louvre. Compare the present figure also with the Burgundian 15th-century stone St James
in the Louvre (inv. no. RF1615).
J. Boccador, Statuaire medievale en France de 1400 à 1530, Paris, 1974, pp. 262-272, fig. 294a