Adriaen van de Velde
- Adriaen van de Velde
- Italianate landscape with a ram, other sheep and a dead tree
- signed lower right: A.V.V.
- oil on panel
- 15 by 13 cm.; 5 7/8 by 5 1/8 in.
His sale, Paris, Rémy, 13 May 1777, lot 418, for 800 francs, to Jacques Langlier (with pendant);
Alexandre-Louis Hersant Destouches (1731–95), Paris;
His sale, Paris, Boileau, 15 March 1794, lot 146, for 800 francs, to Joseph-Alexandre Lebrun (with pendant);
Joseph Barchard, London;
His sale, London, Christie's, 6 May 1826, lot 1, for £31.4s, to Emmerson (with pendant, lot 2);
With Richard Abraham, London;
By whose Assignees sold, London, Phillips, 28 June 1831, lot 39, for £31.10s, to Turncliffe;
John Walter, M.P. (1818–94), Bearwood House, Sindlesham, Berkshire, by 1857;
In the collection of the family of the present owners for at least two generations.
London, Royal Academy, The Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, 2 January – 18 March 1882, no. 83.
J. Smith, A catalogue raisonné..., vol. V, London 1834, p. 184, cat. no. 33;
C. Hofstede de Groot, A catalogue raisonné..., vol. IV, London 1912, pp. 548–49, cat. no. 320 (or possibly 322d).1
1. The present painting is possibly identical with that listed as cat. no. 322d in Hofstede's catalogue raisonné, recorded in the collection of Dirk Versteegh (1751–1822), Amsterdam (his sale, Amsterdam, 3 November 1823, lot 37, for 880 florins, to Brondgeest, with pendant, lot 38).
2. For the pendant, see Hofstede 1912, p. 551, cat. no. 327 (possibly identical with cat. no. 322e).