105
105

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF JACQUES GOUDSTIKKER

The Master of Sainte Gudule
THREE FEMALE SUPPLICANTS, A DETAIL FROM SAINT URSULA PROTECTING THE ELEVEN THOUSAND VIRGINS WITH HER CLOAK
JUMP TO LOT
105

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF JACQUES GOUDSTIKKER

The Master of Sainte Gudule
THREE FEMALE SUPPLICANTS, A DETAIL FROM SAINT URSULA PROTECTING THE ELEVEN THOUSAND VIRGINS WITH HER CLOAK
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Old Masters Day Sale

|
London

The Master of Sainte Gudule
ACTIVE IN BRUSSELS CIRCA 1480
THREE FEMALE SUPPLICANTS, A DETAIL FROM SAINT URSULA PROTECTING THE ELEVEN THOUSAND VIRGINS WITH HER CLOAK
oil on oak panel, a fragment, marouflaged
48.4 x 41 cm.; 18 1/4  x 16 1/8  in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

With Kunsthandel Paul Cassirer & Co., Amsterdam, 1939;
With Jacques Goudstikker, Amsterdam;
Possibly anonymous sale, Amsterdam, May 1942 (according to annotations in the Friedlander archive at the RKD, The Hague);
Hans A. Wetzlar, Amsterdam, by July 1942;
Anonymous Sale, Cologne, Lempertz and Heberle, 18–20 November 1954, lot 7;
With P. de Boer, Amsterdam;
From whom acquired by a Swiss private collector, in 1955, and thence by descent within the family;
Restituted to Marei von Saher, the heir of Jacques Goudsitkker in May 2016.

Literature

M.J. Friedländer, 'Der Meister von Sainte Gudule. Nachträgliches', in Annuaire des Musées Royaux des Beaux-Arts de Belgique, II, 1939, p. 29, reproduced fig. 6 (as the Master of Saint Gudule);
Catalogue of the Collection Dr. H. Wetzlar, Amsterdam, Amsterdam 1952, p. 16, no. 59 (as The Master of Saint Gudule);
M.J. Friedländer, Early Netherlandish Painting, vol. IV, Leyden and Brussels 1969, p. 90, add. 159, reproduced pl. 118 (as Master of the View of Sainte Gudule).

Catalogue Note

A second fragment from this altarpiece by the Master of Sainte Gudule surfaced at an auction in Cologne in 2014, showing those figures sheltered under Saint Ursula's right arm dressed in a gold brocade sleeve and blue grey mantle, before a pale brick wall.1

The artist was named by Friedländer after a panel in the Louvre of Saint Géry Preaching, which depicts in the background the façade of the cathedral church of Sainte Gudule in Brussels (subsequently re-dedicated to Saint Michael). The artist is thus also called The Master of the View of Sainte Gudule, and is known to have been active well before the end of the 15th century as one of the towers of the Cathedral is depicted unfinished in the Louvre panel, and the towers are known to have been completed in 1481. 

1. Sold, Zurich, Koller, 14–19 September 2015, lot 3007.

Old Masters Day Sale

|
London