- Francisco Barrera
- An allegory of the month of October, with a still life of baskets of pomegranates, apples, grapes and other fruits, a pair of doves and songbirds on a stone ledge
- inscribed lower edge: OCTVBRE
- oil on canvas
- 39 7/8 by 61 1/2 in.; 101.2 by 156 cm.
Thence by descent to the present collectors.
Along with the following lot, this unpublished still life of seasonal foods once formed part of a set of twelve allegorical depictions of the calendar months. Eight of the twelve canvases have now been located, including four in private collections and another three united in the Slovak National Museum, Bratislava. The Allegory for the Month of April, similarly inscribed in gold letters along the lower edge of the canvas, was included in William B. Jordan and Peter Cherry's 1995 exhibition, Spanish Still Life from Velázquez to Goya at the National Gallery, London.2
We are grateful to William Jordan for proposing an attribution to Francisco Barrera upon firsthand inspection of the works.
1. W.B. Jordan and P. Cherry, Spanish Still Life from Velázquez to Goya, exhibition catalogue, London 1995, p. 64, Summer reproduced p. 65, fig. 46.
2. Ibid., p. 64, cat. no. 18, reproduced p. 65.