Organized at the initiative of the Minister of the Interior, François de Neufchâteau, the first Exhibition of Products of Industry took place in 1798 on the Champ-de-Mars, and then repeated under the Consulate in 1801 and 1802. Only one was organized under the Empire in 1806. The main goal was to highlight French industry and her manufacturers. In 1806, over a period of twenty-four days, approximately 1,400 exhibitors presented their achievements on the Esplanade des Invalides. There beneath portico number 28 was a mechanical expert named Félix, who presented a "mechanism used to extinguish a candle at marked times, always proportionate to the length of the wick, and this by the very effect of the burning of the candle and its shortening" (Catalogue des produits de l'industrie
, page 13). This model corresponds to the candlestick presented here. Félix received the approval of the National Institute represented by the scientist, Louis-Bernard Guyton-Morveau (1737-1816) on 19 May 1806, and as indicated by the plate affixed to the side of the torch, therefore allowed him to exhibit on the Esplanade in 1806.
The recent restoration of the torch here presented has allowed the restorer to make two sketches in order to understand the mechanism, and which is also described at length in the report of the National Institute.