25
25
A regilt-bronze mounted amaranth veneered writing desk, Régence
Estimate
60,000100,000
JUMP TO LOT
25
A regilt-bronze mounted amaranth veneered writing desk, Régence
Estimate
60,000100,000
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Excellence Française

|
Paris

A regilt-bronze mounted amaranth veneered writing desk, Régence
with a rectangular top above a shaped frieze with three drawers decorated with gilt- bronze foliate scrolls and handles, each side with astronomical motifs, on cabriole legs with winged female torso, ending in foliate scrolled and trellis feet, with the stamp EHB underneath the central drawer
Haut. 76,5 cm., long. 179,5 cm., prof. 87,5 cm. ; Height 30¼in., width 70¾in., depth 34½in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845), London

Catalogue Note

This amaranth desk is typical of Parisian production under the French Régence, particularly from the workshops of cabinetmakers Etienne Doirat, Noël Gérard, or Bernard Lieutaud.

Edward Holmes Baldock (1777-1845) was one of London's leading merchants who specialised in 18th century French furniture and mounted porcelain. In 1805, he established himself as a Chinese porcelain and glassware merchant at 7 Hanway and was granted the status of official supplier of Chinese ceramics to King William IV from 1832 to 1837 and to Queen Victoria from 1838 until his death in 1845. From 1821 onwards, he widened his field of activities and worked as a merchant and restorer of furniture,  similar to the Paris merchant-merciers of the previous century and he did not hesitate to restore and bring up to date the furniture of the eighteenth century to satisfy the tastes of his clients.

With clients like King George IV and a large part of the English aristocracy, he participated in the development of the largest collections of French furniture in the nineteenth century. His signature, E.H.B which can be found on furniture dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries, was identified by Sir Geoffrey de Bellaigue, who was the Director of the Royal Collection from 1988 to 1996.

Excellence Française

|
Paris