118
118
The Book of Common Prayer
THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE SACRAMENTS ... TOGETHER WITH THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID. CHARLES BILL AND THE EXECUTRIX OF THOMAS NEWCOMB, 1704
Estimate
1,5002,000
LOT SOLD. 1,750 GBP
JUMP TO LOT
118
The Book of Common Prayer
THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE SACRAMENTS ... TOGETHER WITH THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID. CHARLES BILL AND THE EXECUTRIX OF THOMAS NEWCOMB, 1704
Estimate
1,5002,000
LOT SOLD. 1,750 GBP
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

English Literature, History, Children’s Books and Illustrations

|
London

The Book of Common Prayer
THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE SACRAMENTS ... TOGETHER WITH THE PSALTER OR PSALMS OF DAVID. CHARLES BILL AND THE EXECUTRIX OF THOMAS NEWCOMB, 1704
folio (405 x 250mm), engraved frontispiece of the Sheldonian Theatre, title page within two rules, text in two columns, ruled in red throughout, in a St James's Chapel binding, contemporary dark brown goatskin elaborately tooled in gilt and blind, lettered on upper cover "St James's | Chappel", cornerpieces of Queen Anne's crowned monogram, spine gilt in compartments with the same monogram, gilt edges, with 2 wide blue watered silk page markers with tassels of gold thread loosely inserted, lacking two pairs of silk ties, binding somewhat rubbed
[with, loosely inserted:] Letters Patent, in the name of Edmund Gibson, Bishop of London, granting a vault in St James's Churchyard to Viscount Lanesborough, one vellum membrane, pendant papered seal, 1724
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

Henry Compton (1632-1713), Bishop of London and Dean of the Chapels Royal; by descent to his great-nephew William Compton, LLD (inscription on front endpaper). Henry's niece Mary married the second Viscount Lanesborough, who died in 1724.

Literature

Griffiths, 1704, no.1

Catalogue Note

This book was in use in the Chapel Royal of St James's Palace (not to be confused with Inigo Jones's Queen's Chapel opposite the palace on Marlborough Road) under Queen Anne, when it was the monarch's principal London residence.

The binding is likely to be by Robert Steel; see Nixon, Restoration Bindings no. 35 for a very similar design, also using gilt and blind decoration, made by Steel for William III, also on a Book of Common Prayer (1693). Steel was active between 1668, when he was apprenticed to Samuel Mearne, and 1710. J.R. Abbey, English Bindings, no.66 is a Book of Common Prayer dated 1704 with a binding also featuring Queen Anne's monogram covering the sides, which was presumed to belong to a chapel royal, and a similar binding lettered "Windsor Chapel Royal" was sold at Sotheby's, 20 May 1903, lot 790, for £63.

English Literature, History, Children’s Books and Illustrations

|
London